Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Timeout Tuesday: Quiche?


So last night I made quiche for dinner. Timeout! I don't cook. My hubby cooks, not me. Now I will admit, I do know how to make 3 or 4 things--quiche not being one of them. My original plan was to make Eggplant Parmesan, but when I cut into the eggplant it was all brown and squishy. Consequently, I had to look for something else.......let's see.........egg beaters, whipping cream, frozen spinach, pie shell, a barrage of cheeses, tomatoes, and onions--quiche it is! I've never made quiche before, but my husband and my mother-in-law make it all the time. I could have easily called either one of them to ask how to make it, but they make me nervous because they are such great cooks. They're always like, "all you have to do is..." and 10 hours later I'm crying in the kitchen without an edible morsel of food. I decided to go online, and I found the following recipe from Chef Mike:

*9 inch deep dish pie crust
*1 cup of heavy cream
*1 cup or 5 large eggs
*about 1 1/2 cups of grated cheese
*1 1/2 cups of whatever your heart desires:
roasted vegetables, chopped up
ham and mushrooms
bacon and grilled onions
crab
you name it
Mix the eggs and cream together, season with salt and pepper, and then use the herbs that will compliment your filling. I almost always like a bit of grated nutmeg. Spread the cheese in the bottom of the pie first, then put the cooled ingredients over the cheese. Pour the egg and cream mixture over the top. Make sure that the liquid pretty much covers all the ingredients. If a little of the ingredients are showing, that's ok.Bake in a preheated oven at 325F for about 25 minutes or until the eggs have set. And VOILA, Quiche.

Considering the fact that half my ingredients were substitutes (egg beaters instead of eggs, whipping cream was expired so I used evaporated milk, I used mozzarella cheese and was informed later by my hubby that "you're supposed to use Swiss cheese in quiche"--who knew?), it actually wasn't half bad. It was kind of tasty and hubby liked it too. Maybe I'm not such a disaster in the kitchen after all.

~Joan

9 comments:

Hccm January 27, 2009 at 12:20 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hccm January 27, 2009 at 12:22 AM  

Looks yummy! I need some new food ideas. Okay my hubby needs some new food ideas, since he has become the household chef.

More Than Words January 27, 2009 at 1:42 AM  

OH, you did a great job! Looks so good! I love quiche!!!!!!!1

3 Bay B Chicks January 27, 2009 at 2:14 AM  

I think this post deserves a bit more than simply its "timeout" title. Perhaps it should be something more along the lines of newsflash or breaking urgent message. You cooked! And look what you made...it may even be making an appearance on my dining room table tomorrow night.

-Francesca

CG January 27, 2009 at 5:47 AM  

Being that I was on the phone with you during this makes this post even more cute and funny! Glad it turned out pretty good!

Ryan Ashley Scott January 27, 2009 at 9:17 AM  

I've been looking forward to this since last night. It looks delicious! Congrats on your kitchen non-blunders, and I think you should consider trying a new recipe once every week or two! :) I will try this recipe at home.

Crazy Momma January 27, 2009 at 10:15 AM  

Found you over at SITS.

It LOOKS tasty :) Glad it worked out for you.

Tomorrow I am posting my very favorite Mac & Cheese with Ham recipe. VERY easy! Come check it out :)

Anonymous,  January 27, 2009 at 4:44 PM  

Girl I can so relate. My husband is the cook in our family too. I don't like cooking, but I will not starve so I can cook something. Oh and the whole thing of "all you have to do..." My mom is the same exact way. I can't ask her anything. The quiche looks great.

Nicole January 31, 2009 at 10:36 AM  

It looks fine, and if it tasted as well. Perfect. Job well Done.

I took the 43 Things Personality Quiz and found out I'm a
Self-Improving Money Managing Extrovert

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP