Thursday, January 15, 2009

Thankful Thursday: My Husband

If it ain't broke don't fix it! That's one of my mottos in life. My mother says I'm cursed with practicality. My husband is all about change. Change is good right? I'm cool with change if it's necessary, but again, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Sprint has been my cell phone service provider since 1998. I've been overall happy with the service and have never wanted to switch providers. My husband...my sweet sweet husband decides he wants to switch to T Mobile (former Nextel customer) because he likes their plans better. I was fine with that until he wanted me to jump on the bandwagon. I said absolutely not because I am perfectly content with my Sprint Simply Everything plan (if you have Sprint I highly recommend it). I get everything for $100--no extra charges, no hidden fees. Anyhoo, he left me alone and went over to T Mobile.
Here is the conversation between me and my husband last week while he was at the T Mobile store:
Hubby: T Mobile is offering $10/month home phone service when you open up a new cell phone account.
Me: (Remembering the nightmare it was when we switched our phone service from Comcast to AT&T because he just had to have Direct TV so that he could watch the Redskins on the NFL Ticket and also remembering the fact that the whole fiasco resulted in us changing our home phone number)
No. I don't think that's a good idea because I don't want our number to change again and I don't want the internet to get messed up because I need it for work.
Hubby: It'll be fine. They said we can keep our number and you don't have to worry about the internet because that won't change....we'll still get it through AT&T.
Me: I still don't think it is a good idea. I'll pay the extra money not to go through the hassle. But okay. Whatever....
Here's the saga that began a few days later:
Day 1: Internet goes down.
Day 2: Phone goes down/internet goes up.
Day 3: Both internet and phone go down.
Days 4-6: My husband spend 24 hours a day on the phone with T Mobile and AT&T tech support, and I spend 3 days at my sister's because she has internet.
Day 7: Internet is back up and phone is still down. AT&T truck pulls up in front of the house. AT&T man bangs and digs on the side of my house.
Day 8: My husband takes the little black box back to T Mobile and tells me we have a new phone number.
And guess who it's with? AT& FRICKEN T! So 8 days of drama and we're right back at square one, only with a different phone number. Through this whole ordeal I've resisted the urge to say "I told you so," and I've just nodded my head patiently. Today I wanted to scream! Here is the conversation after my DH told me our phone number has changed AGAIN:
Hubby: I'm taking the T Mobile box back and we have a new number (remorseful sigh).
Me: Why aren't we going with T Mobile so we can keep the number like they said.
Hubby: Because we wouldn't get service for 2 more weeks (yada yada... something about terms and conditions of his plan...yada yada).
Me: I just wish you would listen to me more.
Hubby: Gee, you really know how to kick a man when he's down. I already feel bad enough and now you have to say, 'I told you so.'
Me: I didn't say I told you so. I just said I wish you would listen to me more.
Hubby: Well, I told you so was implied.
Okay, so maybe it was implied. But don't I have the right to be a little upset? Had he listened to me, he wouldn't have gone through 8 days of hell and we would still have the same phone number. Now I've got to send out the quarterly email to family and friends saying, "BTW our phone number has changed AGAIN." People are going to think we're running from bill collectors or something.
Anyway, I know you're waiting for me to get to the point, so I will. Hubbies and significant others do all types of crazy things to annoy us. My mom made a good point when she said, "look at all the things you do to annoy him." The fact of the matter is that he made a mistake and he tried really really hard to fix it. Some people would have just been like, "oh we deal with it." Not my hubby. He worked day and night to try to fix the problem because he knew how important it was to me. My husband is all about change, so why try and change him? If he ain't broke, don't fix him. I thank God for my husband every day!
Who are you thankful for and why?


~Joan

12 comments:

CG January 15, 2009 at 12:10 AM  

Although I already knew this story, it was quite amusing in blog form! LMAO!

More Than Words January 15, 2009 at 2:21 AM  

Hey there! I decided to write on your blog since you've been to mine twice! :)

Oh, that story was great! You wrote it so well!! I know what a hassle it is to change things up, and how sweet of your hubby to try to make it right!!

I have a Thankful Thursday being posted soon, but, I do have so much to be thankful for!!

Have a wonderful night!
Alicia

3 Bay B Chicks January 15, 2009 at 8:37 AM  

I am liking this blog! Great design and great content. I can see why the lovely Stesha sent me your way. Well worth the trip to Georgia! :)

I have to tell you that I feel your pain with AT&T. They have been the very bain of my existence at times. So much so that when the otherwise-unaware AT&T operator telephoned the other day to inquire about changing my plan, I asked him, "are you kidding? Do you know how terrible your customer service is?" Sad for him, satisfying for me.

Your husband sounds like a fabulous guy. A definite keeper.

-Francesca

PS: Is this your primary blog or is it DiverCity? I checked out both, but since this had the most recent post, I commented here. Just want to make sure I have it straight.

from the desk of ....me January 15, 2009 at 9:31 AM  

Thanks for sharing the joys of joint decision-making.

I am thankful for ALL the people in my life because in one way or another they are all helping me become the person I want to be.

Professor Denise J. Hart January 15, 2009 at 10:07 AM  

Wow, Joan, this is such a rich post! Full of the realness of life, and the complexity of relationships and mostly the love. Your hubby rocks and so do you! Keep the home flames stooked lady! !denise

Ryan Ashley Scott January 15, 2009 at 10:44 AM  

Right on! I was just telling my husband the other day about how smart I am and how thankful he should be to have me... :)

Really, my hubby helps out around the house and pushes me to do things for myself and is the most wonderful dad our son could have. I have been blessed, as have you, it seems!

3 Bay B Chicks January 15, 2009 at 3:53 PM  

This could have been a page out of my diary. My husband and yours must be on the same wavelength. Great post!
-kacey

kel January 15, 2009 at 4:14 PM  

We are the opposite! I love to change things and he hates it!!

very funny story!

Love your blog! New follower alert!

Hccm January 15, 2009 at 4:32 PM  

I am thankful for my family and friends.

Anonymous,  January 15, 2009 at 4:52 PM  

I can completely relate about wishing hubby would listen more. I'm glad everything is fixed and your mom is right. I was just telling my niece that we can't always be mad at something that hubby or significant others don't do because we have flaws ourselves.

Jaime January 26, 2009 at 7:23 AM  

Kel,
This is hilarious.. Tell your hubby I said hello:-)

I took the 43 Things Personality Quiz and found out I'm a
Self-Improving Money Managing Extrovert

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP