Thursday, January 29, 2009

Thankful Thursday: Dear Oprah

Here is an abridged version of a letter I wrote to Oprah a couple of years ago about my sister who I am very very thankful for:

Dear Oprah,
I am writing to tell you about my phenomenal sister. My sister has always been an angel looking after me. When I went off to college in 1997, she wrote a survival manual to help guide me through college life. It had everything I needed to know in order to graduate safely and successfully. Unfortunately, I didn't read the whole thing and it collected dust until I graduated in 2001. I ended up making so many mistakes that her manual could have prevented me from making. My sister is truly an expert on life, and whenever any of her friends or family members want to do something life changing, they always go to her for advice.

In 2006, I got engaged on Valentine's Day and immediately began to enthusiastically plan my wedding. Unfortunately, a few months after I got engaged, I fell on some hard times. I was ready to give up on my wedding plans completely. For the next few months my sister stopped working and engaging in her daily routines so that she could almost single-handedly plan and give me the wedding of my dreams. I got married on June 3, 2006. If it weren't for my sister, I still probably would not be married, or I would have just settled for a justice of the peace wedding.

After the wedding, I stayed home for the summer, and she began to rewrite the college survival manual for publishing. I could never repay my sister for giving me such a fabulous wedding. However, I was able to spend the summer editing and writing the introduction for her book.

Shortly after publishing her book, Your Big Sister’s Guide to Surviving College, she decided to dissolve her office relocation business and start a new business doing what she does best—inspiring! She is now a certified life coach and has transformed CGC Consultant Group into CGC Connections: A Life Enrichment Company. She is truly the best “Big Sister” a girl could ever have.
Please excuse the fuzzy picture. I had to do some editing to cut people out. Can you believe I don't have any recent pictures of just me and my sister? (This is an old picture.)

~Joan

12 comments:

More Than Words January 29, 2009 at 12:25 AM  

Oh my gosh...how awesome!!!!!!!!!! She sounds like a wonderful sister! You are blessed!!!!!

Love the picture too...fuzziness & all!

Hccm January 29, 2009 at 7:14 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hccm January 29, 2009 at 7:15 AM  

That was so sweet, and I love the picture!

Hugs and Mocha,
Stesha

Alyson | New England Living January 29, 2009 at 2:38 PM  

I love that letter. Totally gave me chills. What an awesome sister!

When does the book come out?

Ryan Ashley Scott January 29, 2009 at 8:37 PM  

What a thoughtful letter. Your sister has an amazing story. She is so very lucky to have you, as well.

Unknown January 30, 2009 at 8:07 AM  

What a great letter. A wonderful tribute to a great sister (and great lady in general)!

3 Bay B Chicks January 30, 2009 at 11:18 PM  

Such a lovely, lovely letter. It makes me happy to read about the wonderful and nurturing relationship that you have with your sister, Joan...very similar to the one I have with my sis. There really is no other relationship in your life quite like it, is there? My sister can take one look at me and know something is wrong, even without me saying a word.

Do you work with your sister for a living?

-Francesca

January 31, 2009 at 12:12 AM  

What a priceless thing to have such a fantastic sister!

Congrats on your SITS feature!

Ash January 31, 2009 at 9:27 AM  

Very nice letter! Your sister sounds incredible.

The picture is perfect - smiling sisters.

mommy4life January 31, 2009 at 10:34 AM  

What a sweet tribute to your sis! Congrats on being a Saucy blog on SITS!

Anonymous,  January 31, 2009 at 12:49 PM  

Wow, are you twins? If not, you should be. I'm so happy to hear about your closeness with your sister. I have 3 children and I want nothing more for them to remain close throughout life and look after each other. You sister is truly a blessing to you and I'm sure you are to her.

Trish February 1, 2009 at 9:47 AM  

That is so sweet! I think the brother-rich women like me don't know what we are missing in not having a sister. Your sis sounds like a wonderful gal to love!

I took the 43 Things Personality Quiz and found out I'm a
Self-Improving Money Managing Extrovert

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP