Thursday, January 8, 2009

Thankful Thursday: Teeth


I'm not crazy (well not certifiable at least); I'm just thankful for my teeth. If you watch The View on ABC, you know that Whoopi Goldberg has had some extensive dental work done lately, and she has now become a spokesperson for going to the dentist. Her teeth were terrible, and it's been months since she had work done, and she's still talking funny. Watching her on TV scared me to death, and it's been in the back of my mind that I need to get my behind to the dentist.

Yesterday I actually went to the dentist because I had a sore tooth that felt loose. Now it's been about mumble years since I've been to the dentist, and I must say I am ashamed at the neglect I've shown my teeth. My teeth and I have a lot of history. When I was a kid, my teeth were JACKED UP--I mean jacked! I was teased, harassed, and called everything in the book from "buck-toothed beaver" to "Bugs Bunny". My parents were gracious enough to allow me to get braces, and from 5th to 12th grade I had ongoing dental work. I have had at least 8 teeth extracted (including wisdom teeth), 4 years of braces, and 4 years of retainers. So I feel like I've paid my dues at the dentist.

I actually had a great experience at the dentist yesterday thanks to Dr. Larsen and his crew over at the Vinings Dental Group. He assured me that I just need a few fillings, my teeth aren't falling out and that I'm going to be okay. Yippee! I'm not going to look like snaggle tooth! Thank God for my teeth! Watch the video below to hear Whoopi talk about the consequences of not going to the dentist.




~Joan

6 comments:

Hccm January 8, 2009 at 12:33 AM  

Our house is obsessed with the dentist. It is really weird. We replace our toohtbrushes often and get out teeth cleaned at least 2 times a year.

Now if only I can get them to take baths on the weekends.

Alyson | New England Living January 8, 2009 at 8:34 PM  

Hey, thanks for voting for me! Super nice of you.

I had jacked up teeth when I was younger too. Unfortunately, the parents couldn't afford braces. Had to wait until after I was married. I think I got them around age 22.

Thanks for the reminder cause I'm thinking I'd better get my rear into the dentist's chair ASAP!

Anonymous,  January 8, 2009 at 8:43 PM  

Thanks for voting for me! Very kind!

I am so paranoid about teeth. I went to the dentist every 6 months as a kid and one year when I was 16 or so from one 6 month period to the next I suddenly had like 7 cavaties. I've only had a few since then, but I hate going too long or having my kids go too long. I feel like we're a time-bomb ticking!

Anonymous,  January 10, 2009 at 1:40 PM  

omg..thanks for this.I've been wondering about that. I lost about
3 teeth on my last pregnancy and
wasn't always good at taking
care of myself and taking the
prenatal vitamins. Now I'm just
scared straight and have 2 molars
that are straight bad from my wisdom teeth pushing against them.
We couldn't afford to get my teeth
and the children's fixed, with no
insurance.It's hard to see this video and know that you can't do anything immediately about it, unless you have lots of money to pay for it or insurance.

pecanglo January 11, 2009 at 7:28 PM  

KGW, I am truly inspired by your blog about the dentist. Because of it, I shall blog about my most recent experience. Nothing good about it either, but it always helps when one expresses their pain. I'm glad that you had quite a different experience though.

Take care and I always love reading what you have to say.

from the desk of ....me January 11, 2009 at 10:29 PM  

okay, i'm going to take total credit for you taking a picture of your teeth. i think you got that idea from me when i took pics of the kids' teeth last year.

don't forgot to measure your smile.

it's sad to say that i can so relate to your dentist story. be glad your visit didn't cost you the same amount as used car. who knew that conscience sedation was so expensive?

I took the 43 Things Personality Quiz and found out I'm a
Self-Improving Money Managing Extrovert

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP