Thursday, October 1, 2009

How I Found Out I Was Pregnant

Disclaimer: If you are not into TMI, then you may want to skip this post.

Background info: A little over a year ago, I went off the pill and started a job where I traveled all the time. 8 months later, I was still not pregnant (I know you are saying, "duh! How can you get pregnant if you are never home?" Right! So anyway, my job had me so stressed that I decided I better get back on the pill because I didn't want to be pregnant under those conditions--not to mention I wanted to get rid of the horrible adult acne and the painfully heavy flow each month. Fast forward to July of this year. I quit my job and went off the pill for a month, and wallah, I'm preggers! It really is true that when you stop thinking so hard about it, it just happens.



How I Found Out: All of July of August I felt really depressed and tired. I actually thought I was losing my mind. I think I cried about MJ's death for 2 months straight. I was losing it! Then, the time rolled around for my cycle. I am like clockwork whether I'm on or off the pill. It always comes the same week by Thursday. It was Friday and it hadn't come yet. I was at my aunt's house with my mom and my sister. I explained to everyone how I was feeling and everyone told me I should take a pregnancy test. Being the frugal fannie that I am, I explained that every time I take a pregnancy test my period comes the next day and I'm pissed that I wasted the money. Well, Chrisite (my sister) told me that Baby Makin(g) Machine aka Futuremama was passing out dollar store pregnancy tests at BlogHer and apparently they are reliable. I said, "what the hell, I can spend a dollar, right?" I went to the dollar store and bought 3 tests just to be safe. Long story short, I peed on the stick and it was positive in like 2 seconds. I was definitely skeptical at first. I went home and took another one--positive again. I showed it to hubs and this convo followed:

Hubs: What's that?
Me: A pregnancy test.
Hubs: Uh huh. What's this mean?
Me: I'm pregnant!
Hubs: Stop playin! For real?!
Me: This is the second positive test.

He spent the next several weeks in shock. I don't think he really believed it until he saw the ultrasound last week. We both are very excited. Unfortunately, Hubs spends every waking moment worrying, and I spend every waking moment wishing I was eating or asleep. Do you think I was too harsh when Hubs was worrying last night and he told me he really needed someone to talk to and I said, "not me." I mean, I just can't go down the how-many-ways-can-the-baby-die path with him every day. Am I wrong?

Anyway, this story is way too long, so I'll write more later. BTW: Im 13 weeks today and I'm finally gettig back to my old self--a little. Don't let Hubs tell it though ;)

~Joan

10 comments:

More Than Words October 1, 2009 at 2:41 AM  

Wow!!! That's awesome!!!! It always happens when you least expect it!

I'm so happy for you! It's always a relief to get over the first trimester. During the 2nd, you start to almost feel like your "normal" self again!!

Unknown October 1, 2009 at 9:39 AM  

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH! (Big girly scream of delight) I am SO excited for you!!! I have been thinking about you for like a week now wondering what's been up and how things were going!

Anonymous,  October 1, 2009 at 10:16 AM  

Hey, hey, hey lay so good to see you. I spoke with your sister yesterday via skype and asked about you. I've missed you. Missed your tweets, your blogs, everything. Glad to see you getting back into the swing of things. congratulations again on the pregnancy. Gonna have me another niece/nephew LOL

jmt October 1, 2009 at 11:42 AM  

Your old self is LONG gone! :) In a great way, of course. And no, it's not bad that you don't want to go down that route. He needs to talk to his male friends about that. Males have concerns they can voice like that. We have the same concerns but it's nearly taboo to discuss them. And besides...you're hitting the "happy phase" of pregnancy, where you'll feel great! Don't be bogged down with worry. You have the rest of your life to do that. And I'm not being silly about that. Ha! Happy Thursday and congrats again.

TwinsanityMom - Janet October 1, 2009 at 2:30 PM  

YAY!!! So glad that you are back and with such FABULOUS news too!! Can't wait to here more about it and we better see some belly pictures too, nothing more beautiful than a pregnant woman :)

Felicia - I complete Me October 1, 2009 at 3:28 PM  

Congratulations!!!!!! Girl I was in shock until I saw my sonogram as well. I personally don't thing you are wrong because you can't have those worries on your mind while your are carrying such precious cargo. He'll just have to talk to someone else. Congrats!!!!

from the desk of ....me October 1, 2009 at 11:50 PM  

Congratulations...how exciting...i know you are going to be a great mom...get ready for one of the best rides of your life.

Leslie October 2, 2009 at 6:20 PM  

Congratulations! What a happy time!

Crazee Juls October 14, 2009 at 12:17 AM  

I'm so excited, excited, excited for you! :)

Unknown October 20, 2009 at 6:43 PM  

Love the story and what a great (and inexpensive)way to find out!

I took the 43 Things Personality Quiz and found out I'm a
Self-Improving Money Managing Extrovert

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP