Monday, October 26, 2009

Go Christie, It's Your Birthday!



Today is my big sister Christie’s birthday! She’s 30-something today, and she deserves to be honored for the wonderful person she is. Please stop by her blogs today and show her some love. Also tune in to her radio show on Wednesday and Friday to play some fun trivia and win some cool prizes in honor of the 1 year anniversary of her show and her birthday.

**Insert sappy sigh with music here.**

She had the great responsibility of giving me a name. She took care of me and protected me as a kid. She spun me around by my two pigtails. She loathed my presence when her friends were around. She guided me into young adulthood. She supported me through tough times.

I annoyed the hell out of her. I watched her every move. I wanted to dance like her. I wanted to play the piano like her. I wanted her flawless cheekbones. I wanted her perfect hair (don’t listen to her fake complaints about her so-called horrible hair that she has to do absolutely nothing to except for wake up and go). I wanted to be just like her.



It may sound cliché, but she truly has been the wind beneath my wings. Whenever I hear this song, it makes me cry because I think about how selfless she has always been when it comes to me. For so many years she let me shine and be the golden child while she stood in the shadows as the outcast. But what I knew all along that most people did not know was that she was courageous and strong. She had the courage to stand up to our parents. She had the courage to leave home and never come back. She had the courage to go to school on her own terms. She had the courage to build her own businesses.


And look at her now…shining bright as ever. I am so proud of Christie for all of her accomplishments. She slayed those wretched fat pants. She is kicking butt in social media and taking names. She is doing the damn thang! I just want to say on your birthday and every day, Christie, you inspire me to be a better person. Thank you for your unconditional love and friendship. Happy Birthday!


(Dear Christie: I know I am going to be in for a good 'ol fashioned beat down for posting these pics. What can I say? The 80's were very cruel to us all! I had to supplement the sappiness with some laughter. Please forgive me! Blame it on your aunt and your cousin. They gave me the pics.)

~Joan

7 comments:

CG October 27, 2009 at 12:38 PM  

Remind me to SHANK you later for those pictures and for making me cry. I have no words for how touched I am by this post. I love you very much. And I must say that I am thanking God that at some point I finally discovered brow and lip waxing!

Tiffany @ Lattes And Life October 27, 2009 at 12:59 PM  

How completely sweet!!!!! Things like this post right here make me wish I wasn't an only child. :)

Unknown October 27, 2009 at 4:32 PM  

Sniff sniff...does anyone have a tissue? Love you both!

Unknown October 27, 2009 at 7:59 PM  

LOVE the pictures and the post! You're such a good sister, Joanie!

Winks & Smiles,
Wifey

Stesha October 28, 2009 at 10:49 AM  

Girl, don't SHANK her!

This was an amazing tribute post to your sister. She is truly wonderful, beautiful, (outside and inside) and kind.

Both of you girls are!

Happy Birthday, Christie!

Hugs and Mocha,
Stesha

from the desk of ....me October 28, 2009 at 9:47 PM  

i love the pics...and u are so sweet. u are such a bucket filler.

Stacy Uncorked October 29, 2009 at 10:11 PM  

Happy (belated) Birthday to your beautiful sister!

Loved this post - such a wonderful tribute - and the pictures are adorable! ;)

I took the 43 Things Personality Quiz and found out I'm a
Self-Improving Money Managing Extrovert

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP