Monday, March 9, 2009

Mr. and Mrs. Murphy Monday: Whose Funeral is it Anyway?

My family has nicknamed me and my hubby Mr. and Mrs. Murphy because of the random stuff that always seems to happen to us. You know Murphy's Law; "Whatever can go wrong will go wrong, and at the worst possible time, in the worst possible way." I don't look at myself as cursed, but as someone who is very blessed. Weird things just happen to me; that's all.


About a year or two ago, my husband and I attended my Aunt Juanita's funeral (may she rest in peace). Just to put my relationship in context, Aunt Juanita was my Dad's aunt by marriage. I was able to see family members I hadn't seen in a very long time and introduce my hubby to some folks he hadn't met yet. Funerals are strange that way........the occasion is sad, but they always seem to turn into family reunions.
Anyhoo, the funeral had just ended and hubs and I got into the car to join the procession to the cemetery--or so we thought. The little man came by with the orange funeral sticker and stuck in our window. The black hearse drove by followed by cars with their orange funeral stickers. When the opportunity presented itself, we jumped in the line.
When we arrived at the cemetery, we followed the cars up the hill and then parked along with everyone else (okay, okay, I'll speed it up). So people start getting out of their cars, and just as my husband begins to step out of the car:

Me: Wait! I don't see anybody I know.


Hubby: What do you mean? Where's your dad and everyone else?


Me: I don't know, but I don't recognize any of these people. This is not my family.

Hubby gets back into the car. We start driving around the cemetery assuming we took a wrong turn and got in the wrong line. We scoped out several burial sites to see if I could spot any of my family members. No luck. I thought to myself, I know I haven't seen them in a long time, but you'd think I'd recognize somebody. Not to mention we just saw them all at the funeral. After, driving around the entire cemetery, we gave up our search. I called my cousin to try to get to the bottom of this mystery:

Me: Hey, where are you?

Cousin: We're on the way to the house. Why weren't you at the cemetery?

Me: We followed the procession, but apparently we ended up at the wrong cemetery. We went to Cemetery A .

Cousin: Cemetery A?! That's all the way on the other side of town. The burial was at Cemetery B.

Me: (talking to my husband now) The burial was at Cemetery B.

Hubby: Cemetery B?! That's all the way on the other side of town!

Me: I know!

Hubby: Well, how did we end up here?

Me: I don't know. We must've gotten in the wrong funeral procession.

Cousin: (speaking to other family members in the background) Mr. and Mrs. Murphy went to the wrong cemetery. Hahahahahahahaha!

Family: (guffawing in the background) What? They went where? Hahahahahahaha! Cemetery A?! Hahahahaha!

Cousin: Well, are you coming to the repast?

Me: No. I think we've had enough adventure and embarrassment for one day. You all can just feel free to laugh and talk about us behind our backs. Thanks!

Cousin: Okay, bye. Hahahahahahaha (while hanging up the phone)!

Leave it to Mr. and Mrs. Murphy to bring comic relief to a funeral. What are the odds that another funeral procession would be passing by the funeral home where we were precisely at the time when we were getting ready to leave?
~Joan

12 comments:

Ryan Ashley Scott March 9, 2009 at 12:49 AM  

Oh, Mrs. Murphy - I hope you do these posts for a long time. I so enjoy reading about other couples' misadventures. You seem to get into some very strange situations. :) And I laugh.

About the tree, no I would never do that to a living thing. We just found it out there - my husband did, actually. You can tell it was done years ago, though.

Girls night was fun and we plan on starting 'card night' soon. My cousin's band plays blues rock, and he's very cool. I actually have a t-shirt w/ his band name on it (Shamus Stone).

On a side note, you must be busy and I hope everything is going well for you (busy is good, right?), but I think your blogs might be feeling neglected! :) Just saying I enjoy your posts.

Crazee Juls March 9, 2009 at 1:15 AM  

....although I loved your "Wii" posts...Mr. & Mrs. Murphy hit close to home for me... I can just imagine, getting out of a car after being in a funeral procession, and being like, "I don't know anyone...!?!?!"...ok, let's make a quick get-a-way.

More Than Words March 9, 2009 at 2:12 AM  

LOL...that sounds like something you would see in a movie!! Talk about wrong place at the wrong time!! :)

a March 9, 2009 at 8:14 AM  

Wow, Mrs. Murphy, youand your husband is something else.
I don't even know what to say.
I just be like your family members and LOL

Shanda March 9, 2009 at 9:20 AM  

That is too funny! At least it is you & your husband together so you aren't alone!!

Anonymous,  March 9, 2009 at 10:25 AM  

Truth is always stranger than fiction. The odds of that, are beyond my math abilities!

jmt March 9, 2009 at 11:57 AM  

This is classic! :) I'm always so afraid of NOT getting to the cemetery or getting to it but not finding the burial plot and being trapped in the place that I ride bumper to bumper with someone I know ahead of me. I think these stories are great...keep 'em coming Mrs. Murphy.

Lucia March 9, 2009 at 12:57 PM  

OK, that was really funny, hehe! At least you gave them all a good laugh that day!!

Anonymous,  March 9, 2009 at 3:48 PM  

Girl, this is too funny. You guys have some crazy things happening to ya'll. I am over here laughing so hard. I gotta pull it together, the big wigs are in town.

Unknown March 9, 2009 at 5:16 PM  

Tee hee hee. Classic.

Winks & Smiles,
Wifey

Kathy B! March 9, 2009 at 7:12 PM  

Oh, Mrs. Murphy... I think we're secret sisters! We certainly seem to have similar luck, that's for sure!

Anonymous,  March 9, 2009 at 9:19 PM  

Well I have to say I have heard some funny stories but this one takes the cake. Girl, don't make that a habit LOL.

I took the 43 Things Personality Quiz and found out I'm a
Self-Improving Money Managing Extrovert

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP