Sunday, August 9, 2009

Mr. and Mrs. Murphy Monday: Our Wedding Night

My family has nicknamed me and my hubby Mr. and Mrs. Murphy because of the random stuff that always seems to happen to us. You know Murphy's Law; "Whatever can go wrong will go wrong, and at the worst possible time, in the worst possible way." I don't look at myself as cursed, but as someone who is very blessed. Weird things just happen to me; that's all.
This edition of Mr. and Mrs. Murphy is a throwback from 2006--my wedding night. Now before you go thinking that this is a story about how my wedding was a complete disaster, trust that it actually wasn't. My wedding day was probably the most fabulous day in my life. With that said, allow me to explain what happened after the wedding was over.


My uncle gave us a limo as a wedding present and my sister booked us a hotel room for our wedding night. Everything was planned and ready to go. When it was time to get in the limo, my husband realized that his best man left with his overnight bag in the trunk. We got married in my mom's backyard and our condo was only a couple minutes away so we asked the driver to stop by our house so Hubs could get some clothes.

When we arrived at the hotel, several teenie boppers were entering. We realized that a prom was going on in one of the ballrooms--great! We walked into the lobby still dressed in wedding dress and tuxedo. Hubs was wearing his baseball cap that said GROOM on the front. So we clearly looked like newlyweds, right? WRONG!

We maybe got 20 feet in the door when we heard, "hats off." We kept walking because clearly the hotel worker was not talking to us. Then the voice got louder and more obviously directed toward us. My husband continued to ignore him, but I was a little offended that this fool professional would put us in the category with the prom goers. I mean my dress WAS FABULOUS and my husband had on a hat that clearly said GROOM. I don't know. Maybe he couldn't read. So I just had to say:
"Dude! I'm wearing a fricken wedding dress and he is wearing a hat that says GROOM. We just got married, you idiot!"

He followed us a little after that because we weren't walking in the direction of the prom. DUH! At this point my husband stopped:

"Look man! Can't you see we just got married!"

We then walked to the front desk and this fool professional commenced to yell at us from the door which was like 500 feet away. He was screaming some garbage about us having an attitude and what not. This infuriated my husband and I literally had to hold him back. Heck yeah we had an attitude. He's lucky he didn't get injured. I mean really. He was completely out of control! The lady at the front desk apologized profusely, and we decided to let it go for the sake of the occasion. We did end up having a lovely wedding night. However, the next morning we had a lengthy conversation with the manager of the hotel.
Moral of the story: Some people take their jobs a little too seriously.


~Joan

16 comments:

from the desk of ....me August 10, 2009 at 7:34 PM  

ur dress looks so pretty...i'm so glad that ur hubby didn't have to open up a can of whup a$$ on ur wedding night....

Ryan Ashley Scott August 10, 2009 at 10:41 PM  

Well you look beautiful! Of course it was a man who couldn't tell the difference between a prom and a wedding dress. And couldn't read.

Ms. Wanda August 11, 2009 at 9:42 AM  

It's funny how most people are un-observant! I was at the Home Depot the other day and this old man was on his cell phone holding a piece of fence trying to get in his car while he continuously banged on my car with the fence! Thank God for Jesus because I refrained from beating him down to a pulp!
You look so beautiful!!!

xoxox
Ms. Wanda

Felicia - I complete Me August 11, 2009 at 11:56 AM  

You are just gorgeous and that would have been so funny to hubby and me. When we went to the pink and ice ball a few months ago we went into the prom room instead of our ballroom. But no one yelled at us. Thank goodness.

Unknown August 11, 2009 at 2:41 PM  

You were beautiful! As you are today too...there's just something about a wedding dress that makes women exceptionally amazingly beautiful!

Lamonica August 11, 2009 at 10:11 PM  

It's was wrong for him to get you and your husband confused with the people attending the prom. I guess he was dumb enough to think the "groom" hat was a joke for the prom. I enjoyed reading your blog post.

Stopping by from SITS

Mami 2 Mommy August 12, 2009 at 11:19 AM  

Such a beautiful dress. You look awesome! Thanks for sharing the pics! I have a few wedding stories to share with you next time we meet. But yours tops it! :) I don't condone violence but on your wedding day if someone is being rude I say POP HIM! :) j/k

jmt August 12, 2009 at 11:12 PM  

LOL He actually followed you? Too funny....I'm sure not at the time but for blog humor...good story. :)

More Than Words August 13, 2009 at 10:49 PM  

Oh, yah, he sure did!!!!!!

And you look so beautiful in your dress!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love it!

Crazee Juls August 14, 2009 at 12:13 AM  

Are you kidding me?!? What a loser that "professional" was... Seriously!

And your right. Your dress was fabulous. I had a big puffy over the top dress...I wish I would have gotten married not in the 90's when big puffy over the top dresses were cool...because now my girls make fun of me in that big puffy over the top get up.... Those meanies. I do kid them that they'll be forced to get married in it one day.. MWHA HA HA HA! Anyway, my point is --you were absolutely beautiful, and in a dress that your possible future children won't be ashamed of or make fun of you! Lucky!!

Stesha August 16, 2009 at 4:49 PM  

Fool, indeed! You look so beautiful in your dress.

Hugs and Mocha,
Stesha

Jennifer August 21, 2009 at 7:41 PM  

Hahaha!! The SAME thing happened to us on our wedding night!! that is soooo funny!!

CONGRATS by the way!!! aaaaahhhh!!

Jaime August 24, 2009 at 10:49 AM  

Kel,
That story still cracks me up!

Claire September 26, 2009 at 8:55 PM  

Stesha from HCCM sent me over and I just read your Wedding Post and I wanned to comment and say that your dress is BEAUTIFUL! I love it! It looked just gorgeous on you!

Crazee Juls September 30, 2009 at 9:34 AM  

Dear Joan of All Trades,
You are missed :)

I took the 43 Things Personality Quiz and found out I'm a
Self-Improving Money Managing Extrovert

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP